Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Material Handler in Williamsburg, Virginia
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable packaging solutions for beverage, personal care and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government. Ball Corporation and its subsidiaries employ 18,500 people worldwide and reported 2017 net sales of $11 billion. For more information, visit www.ball.com, or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Performs tasks and provides services to support the plant's production goals, overall business plans and objectives as directed.
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system.
- Operates forklift during routine performance of duties.
- Unloads, receives, inspects, and stages raw materials, scrap, packaging materials, chemicals, and other supplies.
- Removes finished products from the production areas ensuring proper identification, banding, and labeling to meet customer specifications.
- Responsible for replenishing supplies in assigned areas.
- Reviews warehouse production planning schedule to determine duties for shipping and receiving.
- Ensures finished goods are properly documented for shipment.
- Stages and loads finished goods and materials in accordance with warehouse and production planning schedule.
- Coordinates all processed scrap materials at bins and hoppers. Bands and stores materials. Loads trucks as necessary.
- Conducts inspection of and routine preventative maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Conducts inspection of materials used for packaging and inspects trailers and air bags.
- Communicates to management any machine malfunctions.
- Performs record keeping duties as required under the direction of management.
- Communicates pertinent information to next shift.
- Performs clean-up, painting, and housekeeping duties.
- May be required to go to customer(s) to troubleshoot finished cans.
- Initiates, reviews, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- Required to work assigned schedule or 12-hour shifts, rotating days and nights, Monday through Sunday, working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Communicates with the emergency coordinator (EC) or Environmental Focal Point/Environmental Manager (EFP/EM) regarding environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment, and systems, as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level required by the position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP, or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP, or EM on the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation, through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education or equivalent.
- Job-related experience for 1 year minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: forklift maintenance and operation; rules and regulations for handling batteries or LP gas tanks; nomenclature of assigned equipment.
- Ability to apply standard evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard material handling techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Maintains awareness and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Ability to pass an approved forklift test.
- Required on-the-job and classroom training.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- Works in a manufacturing environment.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- Works in confined area(s).
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Material Handler
Job ID: 665437
Location: VA - Williamsburg
Full/Part Time: Full-Time