Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Maintainer Can in Williamsburg, Virginia
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation, since its founding in 1880, has evolved and expanded from its humble beginnings as a manufacturer of wood-jacketed tin cans into the global manufacturing leader it is today. From the development of innovative metal packaging to the beverage, food and consumer goods markets to delivering proven instruments, sensors and spacecraft to the aerospace and defense industries, Ball’s unmatched expertise and global reach ensure that no matter our customers’ mission, we are there to help them achieve it.
Ball’s beverage packaging, which delivers more than just a cold drink. We pride in creating metal beverage cans and bottles that are smart, practical, sustainable and eye-catching. From our aluminum beverage cans ranging in excess of 20 different sizes to the versatile, recloseable Alumni-Tek bottle to the Dynamark variable printing technology that allows us to print up to 24 design variations per production run, we work closely with our customers to deliver a unique packaging experience to consumers.
With the help of our 18,450 talented employees around the world, Ball will continue to revolutionize our industries, serve our customers, and put the right people, processes and partners in place to help us achieve our vision and create long-term value for all our shareholders.
The Williamsburg plant was the second of Ball Corporation’s metal beverage packaging plants to be built in North America. It was completed in 1972 with three production lines. It was expanded in 1979 and modernized in 1985. A 180,000-square-foot warehouse was added in 1998. It is located on a 29-acre property in the James River Commerce Center between Williamsburg and Newport News, Va. Its high-speed production lines can produce more than 2 billion, 100-percent recyclable beverage cans for beer and beverage customers.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Performs tasks and provides services to support the plant's production goals, overall business plans and objectives as directed.
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system.
- Performs duties as required to insure compliance with the plant's quality standards.
- Performs various manual or mechanical production functions by operating, adjusting, and repairing the production equipment to meet customer specifications.
- Disassembles, overhauls, and rebuilds production equipment.
- Performs troubleshooting on production equipment as required.
- Performs preventative maintenance on production equipment as required.
- Performs on-the-job training and development of assigned personnel.
- Conducts inspection of in-process materials and in-process and finished product.
- Responsible for replenishing supplies, materials, parts, and tooling required for assigned area.
- Relieves operators and adjusters for breaks.
- Performs record keeping duties as required under the direction of management.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Communicates pertinent information to next shift.
- Supplies and maintains required hand tools.
- Performs cleanup, painting, and housekeeping duties.
- Rotates through all workstations as needed.
- Reviews SOPs and control plans relevant to their area on a regular basis.
- May be required to work in other areas of production.
- May be required to go to customer(s) to troubleshoot equipment and/or finished cans.
- Initiates, reviews, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- Required to work assigned schedule or 12-hour shifts, rotating days and nights, Monday through Sunday, working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Communicates with the emergency coordinator (EC) or Environmental Focal Point/Environmental Manager (EFP/EM) regarding environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment, and systems, as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level required by the position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP, or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP, or EM on the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation, through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education or equivalent.
- Job-related experience for 2 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: nomenclature of all assigned equipment and products, and plant quality standards.
- Ability to apply standard evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard manufacturing techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Maintains an awareness and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Thorough understanding of the operating principles of all assigned equipment.
- Ability to identify product defects.
- Ability to effectively train personnel.
- Ability to use hand and power tools.
- Possesses an interest in and an aptitude for mechanics.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- Ability to operate forklift or aerolift, if required.
- Ability to use precision measuring instruments.
- Ability to meet deadlines and concentrate and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Must be able to organize, plan, and prioritize.
- Works in a manufacturing environment.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- Works in confined area(s).
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Maintainer Can
Job ID: 663933
Location: VA - Williamsburg
Full/Part Time: Full-Time