Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Production Supervisor in Whitby, Ontario
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable packaging solutions for beverage, personal care and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government. Ball Corporation and its subsidiaries employ 18,500 people worldwide and reported 2017 net sales of $11 billion. For more information, visit www.ball.com, or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.
*Primary Purpose of Position: *
Supervises the plant production function as directed.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and secure work environment. This includes correcting unsafe acts/conditions, facilitating monthly safety meetings, performing monthly safety inspections, and investigating accidents, as required.
- Supports development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement of the food safety system.
- Responsible for maintaining process quality in accordance with Ball Packaging Operations process and quality standards.
- Serves as the facilitator (in charge) of the plant during designated period(s) of time as directed by management.
- Provides administration and supervision of the plant production function as directed.
- Provides for and reviews the performance and personal development of all subordinates on an individual basis.
- Arranges for on-the-job training and development of subordinates' skills to ensure a continued high level of production and morale.
- Provides production, spoilage, and maintenance records and maintains subordinates' attendance, evaluation and other appropriate records.
- Schedules subordinates' vacations, overtime, holidays, and job assignments.
- Provides communications and dissemination of information between crew operations.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Initiates, reviews, masters, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Maintain positive relations with local bargaining unit ensuring a high level of productivity, if applicable.
- May be responsible for D&I; department storeroom function, including housekeeping and equipment maintenance.
- May administer D&I; department PM program.
- Establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence that will discourage third party interference; or establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence with employees, their union stewards and representatives which will promote achievement of plant and company goals.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- While the regular working cycle of this position is usually 12-hour shifts, rotating days and nights, Monday through Sunday, working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Maintains an awareness and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Communicates with the emergency coordinator (EC) or Environmental Focal Point/Environmental Manager (EFP/EM) regarding environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment, and systems, as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level required by the position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP, or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP, or EM on the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation, through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through college education or work-related experience in the can or end making process.
- Job related experience for 2 year(s) minimum
- Working knowledge of the following areas: business principles, legal practices, product specifications and mechanics of equipment, Ball Packaging Operations quality standards, and generally accepted supervisory practices and procedures.
- Ability to apply intensive and diversified evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard production techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- 5% travel
- Works in both office and manufacturing environments.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Title: Production Supervisor
Job ID: 665681
Location: ON - Whitby
Full/Part Time: Full-Time