Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Structural Engineer - Electronics (665491) in Westminster, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Senior Structural Engineer - Electronics
What You'll Do
- Perform structural analysis on aerospace electronic hardware including chassis assemblies, electronic boards, high risk electrical components, and assessing impacts of specification non-compliances.
- Perform structural analysis tasks which will include Steinberg board analysis, Steinberg & Engelmaier thermal solder joint analysis, detail stress analysis using closed form and finite element analysis techniques, identifying design elements that can’t be properly analyzed without additional empirical data or testing, structural dynamics and vibration analysis, loads analysis, preparation of detailed engineering analysis reports, development of structural test requirements, supporting structural and vibration testing, and reviewing vendor structural analysis and test reports.
- Perform structural analysis of advanced satellite and tactical hardware which may include spacecraft, instruments, antennas, electronics, focal planes and detectors, precision mechanisms, optical systems, and ground support equipment.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Maintain the communication required with project managers to negotiate competing schedules on multiple projects.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- 8 or more years of experience performing structural analysis of aerospace-related electronics hardware including stress analysis and structural dynamics is required.
- Previous experience in the following areas is preferred: structural analysis to support electronics and tactical antennas, Steinberg & Engelmaier Analysis, HALT, IPC SM-785 or more recent, electronics datasheet and performance specifications, handling analysis tasks containing uncertain materials or geometry, developing tests to calibrate analysis, bond analysis, focal planes, composites and other non-traditional materials, structural dynamics.
- Previous experience with random and sine vibration testing of electronic assemblies including structural model correlation, anomaly resolution, test data reduction and analysis, and test report documentation is preferred.
- The ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously is essential.
- Proficiency with MS Office tools is required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment are essential.
- Proficiency in the use of NASTRAN finite element analysis including static, modal, frequency response is required.
- Proficiency in the use of IDEAS, NX, NASTRAN or similar finite element pre/post processing software is preferred.
- An SSBI is preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of SolidWorks is preferred.
- Programming experience with MATLAB or at least one other scientific programming language is preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Senior Structural Engineer - Electronics (665491)
Job ID: 665491
Location: CO - Westminster
Full/Part Time: Full-Time