Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Electrical Systems Engineer (665230) in Westminster, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Senior Electrical Systems Engineer
Provide electrical system architecture and electronics implementation experience, knowledge, and technical leadership for cutting-edge space-based bus or payload electronics.
What you’ll do:
- Infuse new electrical technology where needed, make the electrical system work end-to-end, and make the mission successful.
- Lead electrical technology assessments and electrical system level architecture trade studies, electrical system definition, and electrical subsystem level requirements flow-down (analysis and allocation).
- Provide technical oversight of detailed designs to ensure the electrical system is compliant and verifiable at the payload and spacecraft level. Technologies include focal planes, digital signal processing, high speed data transfer, low noise analog sensing, thermal control, mechanism control, low voltage power, power management and harnessing.
- Instrument level grounding, EMI/EMC/ESD allocations and implementation, and electrical interface control definitions.
- Effectively operate within a multi-discipline systems engineering team.
- An ability to talk with both internal and external customers.
- Defining and implementing the test and verification program.
- Lead the resolution of hardware anomalies and determine root cause and corrective action.
- Contribute to proposal efforts for space based instruments.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience as a technical team leader.
- First-hand knowledge of electronics used for low voltage power generation and distribution, digital data processing, high speed serial data transmission, discrete command and telemetry, low noise analog signal processing, closed loop control electronics, and EMI/EMC/ESD compliance.
- Knowledge of grounding architectures for low noise systems.
- Knowledge of harnessing to meet voltage drop, power, EMI/EMC/ESD, and signal integrity requirements.
- Experience developing single string and redundant electrical systems.
- Experience in developing or guiding the creation of electrical system specifications, and electrical requirements analysis and allocation.
- Detailed design experience with "space flight qualified" electronics.
- Analytical experience: FMECA, WCA, reliability, EMI/EMC/ESD, voltage drop, and derating.
- Ability to identify and mitigate technical risks.
- Ability to evaluate and optimize size, weight, and power.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills, and the ability to effectively lead group discussions.
- Expertise in high speed digital system architectures, closed-loop control systems, and integration and test experience.
- Embedded processor-based electronics architecture experience.
*Working Conditions: *
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Senior Electrical Systems Engineer (665230)
Job ID: 665230
Location: CO - Westminster
Full/Part Time: Full-Time