Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Principal Electrical Engineer - Controls Systems (663563) in Westminster, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Principal Electrical Engineer - Controls Systems
Provide principal-level electrical engineering skills, knowledge, and technical leadership to support space-based remote sensing spacecraft bus and science instrument programs.
*What You’ll Do: *
- As part of the spacecraft/instrument Electrical systems engineering team, will interface with Systems Engineering, Design, Integration and Test, and other engineering disciplines in leading the development of electrical concepts, trade studies, architectures, CONOPs and plans for verification/validation for analog and mixed signal embedded controller electrical design.
- Provide technical oversight of electro-mechanical designs to ensure the spacecraft subsystems are compliant and verifiable at the spacecraft bus level. Subsystems include Payload Pointing Control, Antenna Gimbal Control, Filter Wheel Control as well as various deployment mechanisms including solar arrays and aperture doors.
- Interface with internal hardware and software teams with expertise in embedded electronics, mechanical design, algorithms, software and VHDL to plan and execute development activities.
- Advanced spacecraft electrical system technology assessment and architecture definition.
- Prepare and document Interface Control Drawings, Hardware Specifications, System Engineering Reports, design and analysis documentation.
- Perform subsystem conceptual development, trade studies and requirements flow-down (analysis and allocation).
- Provide guidance in defining and implementing the test and verification methodologies.
- Lead resolution of hardware anomalies at the system level and determine root cause and corrective action.
- Contribute to proposal efforts for spacecraft buses and instruments.
- Identify and mitigate technical risks early in the design phase.
- Customer interface – written and verbal; presentations to team members.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
*What You’ll Need: *
- BS degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proficient knowledge of motors, actuators, resolvers and controllers used in space-based hardware and associated electronics.
- Experience with Hardware in the Loop (HIL) and Software in the Loop (SIL) testing.
- Ability to model and simulate open loop and closed loop mixed signal electronics using MATLAB, SPICE or equivalent application software.
- Knowledge of power, signal, harnessing and grounding architectures for control systems to minimize noise and EMI.
- Experience with design trades, design concepts, system specifications, system analyses and failure reporting.
- Analytical experience including FMECA, WCA, Reliability, RCCA (Root Cause Correction Action), voltage drop and derating.
- Experience with electrical requirements analysis and allocation, electrical subsystem concept development/trade studies, design leadership and space hardware development.
- Exceptional written communication skills, strong presentation skills and the ability to lead group discussions with customers and team members.
- Technical design team leadership experience.
- Experience in high speed digital system architectures, closed-loop control systems, integration and test.
- Experience with embedded processor-based electronics architecture.
- Development experience with redundant hardware/software architectures and fault tolerance design including detailed design experience with "space flight qualified" electronics.
- Ability to work with System Engineers to understand and accommodate constraints posed by STK modeling and impacts on Electrical Systems trades, architecture and electronics implementation.
*Working Conditions: *
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
External hires for this position are eligible for a Hiring Incentive!
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Principal Electrical Engineer - Controls Systems (663563)
Job ID: 663563
Location: CO - Westminster
Full/Part Time: Full-Time