Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Director, Global Sourcing ODM in Westminster, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable packaging solutions for beverage, personal care and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government. Ball Corporation and its subsidiaries employ 18,500 people worldwide and reported 2017 net sales of $11 billion. For more information, visit www.ball.com, or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Directs and is responsible for selected sourcing functions. Ensures the sourcing function meets Ball Corporation’s overall plans and objectives.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Directs the activities necessary for the effective management of the sourcing department in the areas of steel purchasing and steel logistics. Prepares and ensures group purchasing policies and procedures while maintaining consonance with corporation policies.
- Directs the assigning of department staff and works with management to determine staffing requirements.
- Administers the adherence to policies and procedures with plant buyers and/or purchasing agents to assure that maximum advantage is gained through plant, group, or corporate purchasing.
- Ensures materials are secured at the best competitive price, quality, and quantity.
- Ensures that metal inventory levels are maintained and controlled to meet established management guidelines.
- Ensures that the supplier base is maintained based upon the evaluation of factors such as facilities, manpower, reliability, quality, pricing, financial status, and plant performance.
- Directs the preparation of requests for proposals and invitations to bid based upon requirements provided by initiating department. Administers comparative price/cost analysis and evaluates proposals, quotations, and bids. Coordinates all activities regarding final selection.
- Provides various management reports containing sensitive departmental information.
- Maintains intelligence on market conditions and analyzes and recommends procurement, transportation, and inventory actions to maximize effects of pricing and material availability (current and long-term) on metal container activities.
- Keeps abreast of laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to procurement functions, coordinating and collaborating with legal counsel as required.
- Directs the sale of plant generated steel scrap.
- Directs negotiations of national contracts with steel direct and indirect material suppliers.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Initiates, reviews, masters, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence that will discourage third party interference or establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence with employees, their union stewards, and representatives which will promote achievement of plant and company goals.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- While the regular working cycle of this position is usually five days on (Monday-Friday), this job may include working weekends (Saturday and Sunday); working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Performs those administrative activities necessary for effective management, including provision for selection and development of employees, salary administration, budget administration, employee safety, employee counseling, motivation, meeting objectives, planning, organizing, integrating and measuring the work performed within the organization.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work independently within parameters set by management.
- Communication. Ability to communicate effectively, write effectively, read, comprehend, and follow complicated verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to meet the knowledge, skills, abilities, physical requirements, and working conditions set forth in this position description and on the attached Physical Demands Assessment.
- Broad training in a related professional field usually acquired through college level education or work related experience.
- Job related experience for 5 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas:
- purchasing principles, practices, nomenclature, and procedures
- generally accepted managerial practices and procedures
- inventory control
- scrap sales
- claim procedures
- national supply contracts
- business practices
- legal practices
- customer needs and expectations
- computer applications
- Ability to apply intensive and diversified evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard purchasing techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Ability to participate with functional counterparts within the organization and through all stages of planning and development of program objectives, including directing and allocating the department’s resources, timing, etc. needed to assure program(s) completion.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Ability to negotiate with customers to promote or sell ideas or concepts.
- Ability to negotiate with vendors.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and make recommendations.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- Integrity and Trust (Ethics and Values). Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Customer Focus. Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Action Oriented (Drive for Results). Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others; pushes self and others for results.
- Priority Setting (Time Management). Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeroes in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Composure. Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
- Informing. Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team, unit, and/or the organization; provides individuals information so that they can make accurate decisions; is timely with information.
- Functional and Technical Skills. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Building Effective Teams. Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Managing and Measuring Work. Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear objectives and measures; monitors process, progress, and results; designs feedback loops into work.
- Directing Others. Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
- Developing Direct Reports. Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person’s career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization; is a people builder.
- Works in an office environment.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards including, but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- Requires short-term and long-term domestic and international travel. (25% travel)
- This position regularly requires a high degree of mental effort due to considerable interruptions and/or frequent changes of activity or workloads during a typical working day.
Relocation for this position is Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Director, Global Sourcing ODM
Job ID: 664937
Location: CO - Westminster
Full/Part Time: Full-Time