Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Casting Operator in Verona, Virginia
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable packaging solutions for beverage, personal care and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government. Ball Corporation and its subsidiaries employ 18,500 people worldwide and reported 2017 net sales of $11 billion. For more information, visit www.ball.com, or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Employee is responsible for banding, racking, and moving coils and transporting them to storage. Employee must be able to operate the controls at the coiler table. Employee is responsible for relieving at the wheel; including monitoring quality, controlling the flow of molten metal from the furnace to the wheel where it cools and is processed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system.
- Feed and band coils; take coils off coiler and band.
- Monitor degasser for proper working condition, clean every 15 minutes.
- Assure Chlorine and Argon tanks are filled to the proper level. Replace tanks when empty.
- Check/monitor slab/strip for cracks, blisters, oxides, or other visible damage/defects.
- Make sure that all dross in aluminum is taken out by skimming.
- Check speed and rotation of degasser shaft; allow metal to run through degasser.
- Open furnace and allow molten aluminum to exit through tap hole.
- Control rate of metal to fill small tilt furnaces; skim/scrape tilt furnaces.
- Monitor metal as it enters the wheel and cools; clean and examine belt and wheel.
- Complete wheel/belt sheet including belt condition, spray/sand belt/wheel, and temperature.
- Any other tasks as assigned by management including; assisting management in the training of new employees.
- Regular, consistent and on-time attendance is required.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- Required to work assigned schedule or 12-hour shifts, rotating days and nights, Monday through Sunday, working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Works under close supervision/or (ability to work independently within parameters set by management).
- Communication. Ability to communicate effectively, write effectively, read, comprehend, and follow complicated verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to meet the knowledge, skills, abilities, physical requirements, and working conditions set forth in this position description and on the attached Physical Demands Assessment.
- Communicates with the emergency coordinator (EC) or Environmental Focal Point/Environmental Manager (EFP/EM) regarding environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment, and systems as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level required by position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP or EM on the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of the following areas:
- Basic reading, writing, and math skills required.
- Must adhere to all guidelines as required by OSHA.
- Experience in a manufacturing or industrial environment.
- Manufacturing environment - may be dirty, dusty, and loud.
- Employees will work around moving machinery.
- Employees will spend the majority of their time standing, sitting and/or walking.
- Must be able to withstand high temperatures; required lifting may be 55 Lbs.
- Employees are expected to be on time each day that they are scheduled.
- Ability to apply standard evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Maintains an awareness of and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- Action Oriented. Works hard; is action oriented and full of energy; not fearful of acting with a minimum of direction or planning.
- Customer Focus. Is dedicated to meeting the quality expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with internal and external customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Decision Quality. Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate.
- Functional and Technical Skills. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job.
- Learning on the Fly. Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
- Building Effective Teams. Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Drive for Results. Can be counted on; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Works in a manufacturing environment.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- Works in confined area(s).
- This position regularly requires a high degree of mental effort due to considerable interruptions and/or frequent changes of activity or workloads during a typical working day.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Casting Operator
Job ID: 665109
Location: VA - Verona
Full/Part Time: Full-Time