Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Plant Manager in Sherbrooke, Quebec
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable packaging solutions for beverage, personal care and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government. Ball Corporation and its subsidiaries employ more than 17,500 people worldwide and reported 2018 net sales of $11.6 billion. Ball is dedicated to creating an inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Ball Corporation is committed to recruiting, training, compensating and promoting regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, or veteran status.
For more information, visit www.ball.com, or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Directs and is responsible for assigned plant. Ensures the plant meets the group’s overall business plans and objectives.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall safety performance of the plant by ensuring safety programs and procedures are followed, and ensures the plant is always operated with employee safety as the number one concern.
- Insures resources to achieve food safety objectives and supports the development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement of the safety system.
- Directs plant operations for the manufacture of group products in accordance with process and product specifications and quality standards, complying with contractual and/or customer requirements and meeting financial objectives.
- Directs the plant level quality assurance functions.
- Directs the plant level production function.
- Directs the plant level manufacturing engineering function.
- Directs the plant level human resources and administration function.
- Provides, justifies, administers, and manages the plant operating budget.
- Ensures plant is in compliance with all legal requirements.
- Initiates, reviews, masters, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Creates an environment where leadership flourishes.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships with the plant’s customer base through regularly scheduled visits.
- Ensures the plant maintains established housekeeping standards.
- May direct the plant level environmental, health and safety function.
- May direct and coordinate the activities of the assigned group computer network administrator to ensure the effective management of all plant computer network services and associated hardware.
- Establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence that will discourage third party interference; or establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence with employees, their union stewards and representatives which will promote achievement of plant and company goals.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- Ensures the plant complies with all environmental regulations by maintaining effective environmental programs. Maintains knowledge and awareness of environmental requirements.
- Performs those administrative activities necessary for effective management, including provision for selection and development of employees, salary administration, budget administration, employee safety, employee counseling, motivation, meeting objectives, planning, organizing, integrating and measuring the work performed within the organization.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work independently within parameters set by management.
- Communication. Ability to communicate effectively, write effectively, read, comprehend, and follow complicated verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to meet the knowledge, skills, abilities, physical requirements and working conditions set forth in this position description and on the attached Physical Demands Assessment.
- Maintains an awareness, and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Communicates with the emergency coordinator (EC) or Environmental Focal Point/Environmental Manager (EFP/EM) regarding environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment, and systems, as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level required by the position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP, or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP, or EM on the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation, through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related professional field usually acquired through college level education or work related experience.
- Job related experience for 5 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: company policies, procedures, and products; general administrative principles, practices, nomenclature, and procedures; generally accepted managerial practices and procedures; business principles, legal practices, customer needs and expectations, and manufacturing operations.
- Works in both office and manufacturing environments.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- Requires short-term and long-term domestic travel. (10-25% travel)
- This position regularly requires a high degree of mental effort due to considerable interruptions and/or frequent changes of activity or workloads during a typical working day.
- Ability to apply intensive and diversified evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard plant production techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Ability to participate with functional counterparts within the organization at the earliest stages of planning and development to meet plant objectives; directing, allocating the plant’s resources, timing, etc., resources needed to assure meeting the plant’s objectives.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Ability to negotiate with customers to promote or sell ideas or concepts.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to concentrate and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical data in order to make recommendations.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- Integrity and Trust (Ethics and Values). Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Customer Focus. Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Action Oriented (Drive for Results). Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others; pushes self and others for results.
- Priority Setting (Time Management). Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeroes in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Composure. Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
- Informing. Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team, unit, and/or the organization; provides individuals information so that they can make accurate decisions; is timely with information.
- Functional and Technical Skills. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Building Effective Teams. Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Managing and Measuring Work. Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear objectives and measures; monitors process, progress, and results; designs feedback loops into work.
- Directing Others. Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
- Developing Direct Reports. Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person’s career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization; is a people builder.
Relocation for this position is Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Plant Manager
Job ID: 666315
Location: QC - Sherbrooke
Full/Part Time: Full-Time