Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Production Technician in Saratoga Springs, New York
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation, since its founding in 1880, has evolved and expanded from its humble beginnings as a manufacturer of wood-jacketed tin cans into the global manufacturing leader it is today. From the development of innovative metal packaging to the beverage, food and consumer goods markets to delivering proven instruments, sensors and spacecraft to the aerospace and defense industries, Ball’s unmatched expertise and global reach ensure that no matter our customers’ mission, we are there to help them achieve it.
Ball’s beverage packaging, which delivers more than just a cold drink. We pride in creating metal beverage cans and bottles that are smart, practical, sustainable and eye-catching. From our aluminum beverage cans ranging in excess of 20 different sizes to the versatile, recloseable Alumni-Tek bottle to the Dynamark variable printing technology that allows us to print up to 24 design variations per production run, we work closely with our customers to deliver a unique packaging experience to consumers.
With the help of our 18,450 talented employees around the world, Ball will continue to revolutionize our industries, serve our customers, and put the right people, processes and partners in place to help us achieve our vision and create long-term value for all our shareholders.
The Saratoga Springs plant is the fifth of Ball Corporation’s metal beverage container plants. It began operation in early 1981and was expanded in 1993. A 153,000 square-foot warehouse was added in 1996. The plant is located on a 23-acre tract in the Grande Industrial Park. The plant’s four high-speed can lines produce billions of infinitely recyclable beverage cans per year for a variety of beer and soft drink customers.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Performs tasks and provides services to support the plant’s production goals, overall business plans and objectives as directed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system.
- Performs duties as required to ensure compliance with the plant’s quality standards.
- Performs various manual or mechanical production functions by operating, adjusting, and repairing production equipment to meet customer specifications.
- Disassembles, overhauls, and rebuilds production equipment under the supervision of a qualified maintainer.
- Performs troubleshooting on production equipment as required.
- Performs preventative maintenance on production equipment as required.
- Inputs data on a computer terminal to identify, label, and palletize finished products.
- Conducts inspection of in-process or finished product.
- Assists in making major adjustments or mechanical repairs to production equipment.
- Responsible for replenishing supplies required for assigned area.
- Performs record keeping duties as required under the direction of management.
- Rotates through workstations as needed for coverage, relief, and training purposes as required in conjunction with on-the-job training.
- May operate can line briquetter. Ensures briquetter is running properly. Removes all briquettes from the conveyor, stacks briquettes on pallets according to scrap class, and weighs and tags scrap pallets for shipment.
- May operate end line baler and slug accumulator. Removes all bales and loads them onto trailer. Removes/replaces accumulation boxes for slugs, and weighs and tags accumulation boxes for shipment.
- May restack and load empty coil pallets for return to aluminum suppliers.
- May prepare for shipment returnable drums, totes, and vendor return loads.
- Performs clean-up, painting, and housekeeping duties.
- Required to perform all production technician duties. May be required to rotate among specific production technician assignments within the department as needed. Relieves production technicians for breaks.
- Supplies and maintains required hand tools.
- May be required to go to customer(s) to troubleshoot equipment and/or finished cans.
- Required to work assigned schedule or 12-hour shifts, rotating days and nights, Monday through Sunday, working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education or equivalent.
- Mechanical job related experience for 1 year minimum.
- Troubleshooting skills/experience.
- Experience working in an industrial environment.
- Working knowledge of the following areas
- Machine mechanics
- Troubleshooting skills
- Ability to learn operating principles and nomenclature of all assigned equipment and products.
- Ability to learn nomenclature of all assigned equipment, products, and quality standards.
- Ability to learn to identify product defects.
- Ability to use hand and power tools.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend written material.
- Ability to operate fork truck and aero lift, if required.
- May require forklift license.
- Possesses an interest in and an aptitude for mechanics.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Works in a manufacturing environment.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- Works in confined area(s).
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Production Technician
Job ID: 663984
Location: NY - Saratoga Springs
Full/Part Time: Full-Time