Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Electronic Technician in Saratoga Springs, New York
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable packaging solutions for beverage, personal care and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government. Ball Corporation and its subsidiaries employ 18,500 people worldwide and reported 2017 net sales of $11 billion. For more information, visit www.ball.com, or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Performs tasks and provides services to support the plant's production goals, overall business plans and objectives as directed.
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system.
- Assists in assembling, testing, modifying, and maintaining high-speed, industrial process equipment for can and/or end making, power, lighting, control, and programmable logic controls for all production process and control equipment according to engineering specifications.
- Assists in troubleshooting, adjusting, and repairing all electrical equipment, solid state circuits, components, logic boards, transducers, amplifiers, and complex timing and inspection devices.
- Assists in performing preventative maintenance on assigned electrical systems.
- Assists in identifying inefficiencies and potential electrical problems and coordinates through supervisor to resolve.
- Assists in diagnosing causes of malfunctions and corrects through programmable logic controls. Ensures efficient equipment operation through proper line control programming and proactively suggests methods to improve line performance.
- Assists with installing and troubleshooting facility power distribution and lighting services.
- Responsible for learning to wire, assemble, and layout electrical/electronic systems in an extremely neat and professional manner and conform to Ball’s wiring specifications.
- Assists with updating wiring schematics and computer program printouts.
- Supplies and maintains required hand tools.
- Maintains daily log books and records.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Determines all supplies needed for each assignment.
- Performs clean-up, painting, and housekeeping duties.
- Communicates pertinent information to next shift.
- Initiates, reviews, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- Required to work assigned schedule or 8-hour shifts, days (Monday through Friday), this job may include working weekends (Saturday and Sunday); working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Communicates with the emergency coordinator (EC) or Environmental Focal Point/Environmental Manager (EFP/EM) regarding environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment, and systems as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level required by position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP, or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP, or EM on the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education or equivalent.
- Participation and successful completion of a 2 year electronic technician program at a community college, resulting in an associate’s degree required.
- An additional 2 years on-the-job training as an electronic technician apprentice required.
- Job-related experience for 1 year minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: nomenclature of all assigned equipment.
- Ability to apply standard evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard electrical/electronic techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must possess an understanding of the operating principles of all assigned equipment.
- Must possess an interest in and an aptitude for mechanics, electronics, and electrical.
- Must possess an interest in learning about solid state circuitry, electronics, electrical-mechanical devices, transmission systems, interface units, AC/DC motors, wiring diagrams and schematics, computers, programmable logic controls, and inspection and digital devices.
- Ability to use basic hand and power tools.
- Ability to use electronic test equipment.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- May require ability to operate a forklift and aerolift.
- Ability to differentiate colors and color shading.
- Ability to work with others.
- Performs general electrical work, i.e., conduit, wire sizing, pulling wire, and construction.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to concentrate and pay attention to detail.
- Must have sufficient endurance to perform tasks over long periods of time.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Maintains an awareness of and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- Works in a manufacturing environment.
- Must be able to withstand high ambient temperature at times.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Requires working with or near energized 480 VAC circuits.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- Works in confined area(s).
- Works alone at times.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Electronic Technician
Job ID: 665438
Location: NY - Saratoga Springs
Full/Part Time: Full-Time