Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Mission Architect - West Coast, Payload Engineering (664788) in Los Angeles, California
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Mission Architect – West Coast, Payload Engineering
The Architect will support multiple business units focused on execution of existing contracts and growing Ball’s business on the West Coast. Targeted customers include the Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Operational Responsive Space Office, Rapid Capabilities Office, other Government organizations, and industry. A successful candidate must have significant skills, knowledge, and experience with these customers. Business opportunities of interest range from spaceflight hardware development, ground infrastructure and engineering support services.
This position reports to the Chief Architect of Payload Engineering and will be based in Los Angeles, California with travel to Colorado, the Washington DC area and other areas as required.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide responsive, local technical and business development support to Los Angeles area customers, in support of Ball prime and subcontract execution as well as supply chain activities.
- Support Business Development and Advanced Systems Managers to ensure alignment around strategic pursuits/captures and provide necessary technical staffing to these efforts and to proposal efforts.
- Establish enduring relationships and rapport with customers to gain insight into organization direction, policies, priorities, plans, budget and political environment.
- Work closely with appropriate business unit leaders, program managers, and Strategic Operations counterparts to help devise strategies to meet Strategic Business Unit goals and objectives.
- Formulate strategies and participate in strategy discussions with Strategic Business Units on existing and new business, analyze and present information on new opportunities, competitive assessments and trends in the space markets.
- Identify technology gaps in current offerings, prioritize needs, and develop Ball Aerospace Internal Research and Development investments to address gaps.
- Initiate, coordinate and participate in customer meetings in the military space community with focus on the Los Angeles area.
- Support existing space programs with current customers, providing status and support while assessing customer satisfaction.
- Develop proposal strategy, including technical presentations, win themes, key points, and pricing. Coordinate all proposal activities, prepare various inputs, and oversee final proposal preparation and delivery.
- Demonstrate an ability to anticipate, understand, react, shape and influence space pursuits.
- Ensure coordination of messaging in and out of Strategic Operations and business teams.
- Be a thought leader in the space community.
- Represent Ball Aerospace at industry, trade association and other events in the Los Angeles area.
- Ensure an integrated approach to engaging internal and external stakeholders. Must be a collaborator.
- Travel will be required approximately 15-percent of the time.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS/BA in related field plus 12 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e. Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Two years of related experience may be substituted for each year of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current TS/SCI clearance is required.
- Current knowledge of and experience working with the intelligence community, DOD, USAF, and/or relevant organizations in the defense and intelligence arena.
- Technical expertise on all space architecture elements including optics, electronics, focal planes, structures, and cryogenic systems.
- A customer-focused mindset.
- The ability to drive for and achieve results through independent action.
- Creative and innovative work and time management.
- The ability to collaborate with peers, coworkers and executive leadership.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills in relevant business environments.
- Diplomacy, influencing, communication and team skills.
- Independent work at customer and partner facilities with office space provided at one or more locations.
- Some work from home office is expected.
- Frequent travel among several LA-area locations.
- Periodic travel to Colorado for team interactions.
- Work is performed in an office environment
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Mission Architect - West Coast, Payload Engineering (664788)
Job ID: 664788
Location: CA - Los Angeles
Full/Part Time: Full-Time