Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Detector Engineering Project Engineer (664678) in Los Angeles, California
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Detector Engineering Project Engineer
Detector Engineer to fill technical and project engineering leadership roles in support of design, analysis, fabrication, test and operation of spacecraft / aircraft electro-optical systems for commercial, DoD and NASA customers.
What you’ll do:
- Support the development of custom visible (CCD and visible hybrid), NIR, SWIR, MWIR (3 - 5 micron, and LWIR (8-12 micron) camera systems for high reliability applications
- Work out of Ball’s west coast office to manage key detector suppliers and detector subcontracts with regular site visits to LA and Santa Barbara
- Communicate continuously with stakeholders in Colorado to learn program needs and report supplier performance.
- Work on cross functional teams including optical, electrical, mechanical, thermal, and systems engineers to develop and to optimize detector system performance
- Manage cost, schedule, and technical milestones and lead integrated product teams of up to 30 people to meet program goals
- Interface with BATC teams, customers, and detector suppliers
- Support proposal efforts for new camera systems and detector technologies including writing proposal basis of estimate reports
- Support detector procurement activities including development of and management to vendor statement of work and specifications
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 8 or more years of related experience. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e. Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience in in detector design, detector test, electronics design, breadboard fabrication and focal plane system test.
- Demonstrated knowledge of visible, NIR, SWIR, MWIR, and LWIR detector systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of micro-electronics packaging of detectors.
- Experience leading an engineering team on electro-optics projects.
- Experience with Cost Account Management Reporting and resource loaded schedules.
- Experience managing a budget greater than $100,000 including monthly reporting.
- Experience identifying and managing projects risks and assumptions.
- Effective interpersonal skills including demonstrated leadership ability.
- Ability and willingness to teach project engineering skills to peers and junior staff.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Detector Engineering Project Engineer (664678)
Job ID: 664678
Location: CA - Los Angeles
Full/Part Time: Full-Time