Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Supervisor, Environmental Health & Safety in Fairfield, California
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation, since its founding in 1880, has evolved and expanded from its humble beginnings as a manufacturer of wood-jacketed tin cans into the global manufacturing leader it is today. From the development of innovative metal packaging to the beverage, food and consumer goods markets to delivering proven instruments, sensors and spacecraft to the aerospace and defense industries, Ball’s unmatched expertise and global reach ensure that no matter our customers’ mission, we are there to help them achieve it.
Ball’s beverage packaging delivers more than just a cold drink. We take pride in creating metal beverage cans and bottles that are smart, practical, sustainable and eye-catching. From our aluminum beverage cans ranging in excess of 20 different sizes to the versatile, recloseable Alumni-Tek bottle to the Dynamark variable printing technology that allows us to print up to 24 design variations per production run, we work closely with our customers to deliver a unique packaging experience to consumers.
Since the aerosol can revolutionized consumer products in the 1940s, Ball has refined and improved the technology to suit today’s needs. We recently developed a new metal alloy that reduces the weight of our aluminum aerosol cans by as much as 15%. We also breathed new air into aerosol technology with the introduction of our next generation of tinplate aerosol packaging, which is helping us meet and exceed our customers’ growing expectations.
Metal food packaging has set the standard for freshness and preservation for well over a century, and we continue to push boundaries and innovate in this sector. What excites us most is the sustainability advantages that metal packaging provides. It is one of the most environmentally friendly and economical forms of packaging.
With the help of our 18,450 talented employees around the world, Ball will continue to revolutionize our industries, serve our customers, and put the right people, processes and partners in place to help us achieve our vision and create long-term value for all our shareholders.
The Fairfield plant was the fourth of Ball Corporation’s metal beverage packaging plants, opening in 1976. It is located on a 20-acre tract in the Southern Pacific Industrial Park, midway between San Francisco and Sacramento. The high-speed production lines make millions of aluminum recyclable cans each day for well-known soft drink and beer fillers.
Primary Purpose of Position
Directs and is responsible for the plant environmental, health and safety (EHS) function. Ensures the plant EHS function meets Ball’s overall environmental health/safety plans and objectives, driving the organization towards outstanding safety performance.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and secure work environment. This includes correcting unsafe acts/conditions, facilitating monthly safety teams/meetings, performing monthly safety inspections/audits, and investigating accidents/managing corrective actions, as required.
- Leads/implements the development and administration of plant environmental, health and safety processes, such as accident investigation, lockout/tagout, confined space, hot work permits, etc.
- Drive best in class safety culture change initiatives and behavioral based safety programs.
- Manage environmental programs and activities associated with regulatory compliance in accordance with Ball policy.
- Develops and facilitates training on EHS initiatives, Department of Transportation compliance topics, and required OSHA/ environmental training.
- Partner with BPNCA divisional H&S; Leadership and corporate EHS team to drive ISO 14001/OHSAS 18001 plant level initiatives.
- Drive procedures regarding labeling, storage, spills or disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous materials.
- Understands and remains current on environmental requirements.
- Compiles data, prepares and submits required regulatory reports.
- Provides, maintains and monitors all environmental, health and safety management activities including, but not limited to, MSDS files, hazard communication program, environmental educational programs, hazardous waste program, hazardous materials program, air program, storm water program, wastewater discharge program, etc.
- Timely and effectively communicates with Ball personnel and federal, state, and local authorities on environmental, health and safety compliance issues.
- Serves as point of contact for agency and company environmental, health and safety inquiries, inspections, audits and community concerns.
- Maintains thorough familiarity with all aspects of the facility’s emergency contingency plan.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through college level education or work-related experience
- Job related experience for 3 year(s) minimum
- Significant experience with OSHA (Including Voluntary Protection Programs) regulations and principles.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: environmental regulations, legal practices, OSHA requirements, environmental principles, practices, nomenclature, and procedures, generally accepted managerial practices and procedures, and company policies, procedures, and products.
- Ability to apply intensive and diversified evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard plant environmental operations techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow Ball company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct.
- Strong facilitation, communication, and change management skills
- 10% travel
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Supervisor, Environmental Health & Safety
Job ID: 664042
Location: CA - Fairfield
Full/Part Time: Full-Time