Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Ball Metalpack - Coil Line Chief/Group Lead in Columbus, Ohio
Who We Are:
Ball Metalpack is a pending new joint venture between Platinum Equity and Ball Corporation. The deal is expected to close later this summer. We are excited about the opportunities ahead as we leverage our expertise to create value and a sense of ownership.
Ball Metalpack produces 100 percent recyclable tinplate food and aerosol containers. As part of Ball Corporation, we’ve been industry leaders for years. Now we are standing up a new company with exciting new roles and responsibilities – including this one!
Metal food packaging has set the standard for freshness and preservation for well over a century, and we continue to push boundaries and develop innovations. What excites us most is the sustainability advantages that metal packaging delivers to our customers and to families. It is one of the most environmentally friendly and economical forms of packaging.
Since the aerosol can revolutionized consumer products in the 1940s, Ball has refined and improved the technology to suit today’s needs. We recently breathed new air into aerosol technology with the introduction of our next generation of tinplate aerosol packaging, which is helping us meet and exceed our customers’ growing expectations.
With the help of our 1,300 talented employees, Ball Metalpack will continue to revolutionize our industries, serve our customers and put the right people, processes and partners in place to help us achieve our vision and create long-term value.
Ball Metalpack is a Lean Manufacturing System environment.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Performs tasks and provides services to support the plant’s overall business plans and objectives as directed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies, and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system.
- Performs various manual or mechanical production functions by operating, adjusting, and repairing the production equipment to meet customer specifications.
- Disassembles, overhauls, and rebuilds production equipment.
- Performs troubleshooting on production equipment as required.
- Performs preventative maintenance on production equipment as required.
- Performs on-the-job training and development of assigned personnel.
- Conducts inspection of in-process materials and in-process and finished products.
- Responsible for replenishing supplies, materials, parts, and tooling required for assigned area.
- Relieves operators and maintainers for breaks as needed.
- Performs as vacation relief for other maintainers.
- Performs record keeping duties as required under the direction of management.
- Communicates pertinent information to next shift.
- Supplies and maintains required hand tools.
- Performs clean-up, painting, and housekeeping duties.
- May be responsible for facilitating efficient operation of weld lines by way of walkthroughs, focusing on bottlenecks, inefficiencies, etc.
- Assists line maintainers in addressing, evaluating, and correcting equipment/production issues.
- May review work orders completed on respective crew.
- Initiates, reviews, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- Required to work assigned schedule or 12-hour shifts, Monday through Sunday, working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work independently within parameters set by management.
- Communication. Ability to communicate effectively, write effectively, read, comprehend, and follow complicated
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP or EM on the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation, through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education or equivalent.
- Job related experience for 1-2 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: all assigned equipment and products.
- Required on-the-job and classroom training.
- Ability to apply intensive and diversified evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard mechanical techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Thorough understanding of the operating principles of all assigned equipment.
- Ability to identify product defects.
- Ability to use hand and power tools.
- Possesses an interest in and an aptitude for mechanics.
- Ability to effectively instruct and train other employees.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Must be able to organize, plan, and prioritize.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to concentrate and pay attention to detail.
- Must have sufficient endurance to perform tasks over long periods of time.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available.
Ball Metalpack offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Ball Metalpack - Coil Line Chief/Group Lead
Job ID: 662361
Location: OH - Columbus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time