Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Mission Systems Engineer - Staff Consultant (665197) - Security clearance required in Chantilly, Virginia
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Mission Systems Engineer - Staff Consultant
This position is for an experienced scientist or engineer who is creative, flexible, and comfortable handling many diverse and sometimes open-ended assignments.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide subject matter expertise across multiple and diverse new business pursuits by developing concepts to meet customer mission needs.
- Provide engineering leadership of technical teams to design, develop, exploit and assess remote sensing systems, capabilities related to visible, SWIR, MWIR and/or LWIR phenomenologies.
- Define, execute, and report on trade studies that provide data for decision making to our customers.
- Develop metrics to evaluate concepts that represent mission utility for the customer.
- Creatively apply our heritage and expertise to solve customer problems in novel and cost-effective ways.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers/management/customers.
- Support technical proposal development.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the customer as well as within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years related experience. MS in Physics/Engineering Systems or a related technical field is strongly preferred.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Top Secret security clearance is required.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding in basic spectrometer operation.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding with visible, SWIR, MWIR and/or LWIR phenomenology.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding with hyperspectral processing algorithms and workflows.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding in the exploitation of hyperspectral and electro-optical phenomenologies.
- Demonstrated experience with IDL, Matlab, python and/or C++ programming.
- Demonstrated experience with ENVI, RemoteView or other remote sensing software packages.
- Ability to assess data anomalies and inconsistencies and communicate with sensor developers and data processors
- Customer Relationships: Extensive knowledge of missions and customers across core technologies areas. Knowledge/experience working with critical customer base, established relationships with key personnel within customer community.
- Demonstrated experience leading multi-disciplinary teams in relevant business environments.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and analyzing mission concepts.
- Demonstrated experience in systems engineering processes, including requirements development, concept of operations, requirement allocation, change management, verification and validation, design, integration and test.
- Superb presentation skills with documented presentation experience to senior decision-makers and technical audiences.
- Proven track record in producibility of designs with cost, budget, and schedule constraints for self and others.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Mission Systems Engineer - Staff Consultant (665197) - Security clearance required
Job ID: 665197
Location: VA - Chantilly
Full/Part Time: Full-Time