Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Principal Structures Design Engineer-Mechanical (664557) in Broomfield, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Principal Structures Design Engineer – Mechanical
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the design and analysis effort for new space-based structures from proposal phase thru award, detailed design, fabrication, assembly, test, and requirement verification (examples include: optical benches, various spacecraft structures, reflectors, radiators, etc.)
- Responsible for cost and schedule planning and tracking as well as managing efforts through robust engineering change processes including risk and opportunity management
- Define, maintain, iterate, and verify the structural requirements that are needed to meet the system and other subsystem requirements and interfaces
- Generate, iterate, maintain, and release the primary/secondary structure design that meets system and subsystem requirements
- Work on CAD and do simple hand structural analysis calculations during proposal and program initial startup
- Transition to leading team of 5-10 design and analysis engineers with majority of time spent leading the team and communicating with the internal and external customers
- Coordination required with personnel from all other spacecraft sub-systems including external interfaces such as customers, customer consultants, payload providers and launch vehicle providers
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, plus 12 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks or equivalent 3D CAD software
- Proven experience designing Aluminum honeycomb and CFRP structures for the space environment
- SSBI clearance required
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Principal Structures Design Engineer-Mechanical (664557)
Job ID: 664557
Location: CO - Broomfield
Full/Part Time: Full-Time