Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Asset Manager, North America Pension and 401K in Broomfield, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable packaging solutions for beverage, personal care and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government. Ball Corporation and its subsidiaries employ 18,500 people worldwide and reported 2017 net sales of $11 billion. For more information, visit www.ball.com, or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.
Primary Purpose of Position:
This position is responsible for the governance and oversight of approximately $5B in defined benefit (“DB”), defined contribution (“DC”) and deferred compensation assets in the U.S. across multiple asset classes. This will include owning 3rd party investments manager and consultant relationships, monitoring performance relative to investment strategy and risk corridors, conducting market research and other risk/liability analyses to recommend potential portfolio changes, and regularly facilitating the required transactions to manage such investments and funding levels. This position will have significant matrix relationships with the Treasury, Controller and Finance organizations, and will serve as an investment subject matter expert in support of management and fiduciary committees responsible for establishing associated investment strategies.
- Governance and oversight of Ball’s retirement and savings assets in the U.S.
- Contributes to investment strategy and owns associated policies for approximately $5B in retirement-related assets
- Reports on investment performance relative to expectations and ensures investment guidelines are compliant with Ball’s investment policies, funding status targets and cash flow objectives
- Owns vendor relationships with investment consultants and managers, record-keepers, trustees and custodians, including:
- Quarterly calls with all investment managers on under/out performance to prepare for management, fiduciary and Board committee meetings
- Periodic visits with investment managers, investment consultants and other 3rd parties, as needed
- Coordination of a glide path with investment managers to adjust duration, when necessary
- Monitors cash position of DB plans, executes the periodic rebalancing of assets to ensure there is enough cash for monthly benefit payments and expenses, and coordinates distribution letters to pull cash from existing managers when necessary
- Creates and distributes regular and ad hoc reporting on investment performance, funded status, compliance and other asset-related metrics
- Leverage expertise, conduct analysis and support special projects to determine recommended changes to investment policies and strategies for retirement and savings assets in the U.S.
- Monitors investment managers and fund performance, and provides recommendations for terminations, additions or other changes
- Conducts market research and other asset/liability studies for DB plans, and recommends asset strategy or portfolio changes, if any, as a result
- Executes asset requirements for various liability derisking exercises (lump-sum windows, annuity purchases, etc.) and recommends asset strategy or portfolio changes, if any, as a result
- Periodically reviews DC investment line-up and coordinates changes
- Periodically reviews deferred compensation plan investment line-up and coordinates investment changes, funding of COLI policies and associated loans
- Provide support to the broader organization as the retirement benefit asset subject matter expert, including:
- Owns compliance and other required reporting, including but not limited to, Sarbanes-Oxley narrative, leveling of assets, 10Q and 10K disclosure reporting, internal/external audit requirements, DOL requests, Board materials, valuation memos and others, as needed
- Attends and gives presentations to relevant committees, fiduciaries and business leaders
- Supports relevant M&A; activity
- Partners with other members of the Total Rewards team for special projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics or similar field of study required
- MBA in Finance, Accounting, Economics, a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), or credentialed actuary preferred
- Job related experience for 10 year(s) minimum
- Demonstrated clear experience managing investment portfolios for retirement programs through an investment manager, retirement administrator, bank, employer or similar organization
- Demonstrated passion for and clear understanding of capital markets, asset/liability management, hedging, derivatives and other instruments that may be utilized to manage risk of a large DB asset portfolio
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills reflecting extensive interaction with portfolio managers, trustees, lawyers, consultants and senior management
- Action oriented around challenging projects with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Understanding of ERISA and the primary implications for retirement benefits in the United States
- Understanding of the relationship between asset management and financial reporting, including but not limited to, GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- 5% of travel
Demonstrated Ball Leadership Skills:
- Inspirational Role Model–Understands themselves and seeks opportunities to learn. Shows composure, responding consistently, openly, and courageously in all situations.
- Authentic Leadership–Demonstrates humility in the way they lead others. Takes a stand for what is right and admits their mistakes.
- Leadership Presence–Inspires trust in the broader organization. Acts on a sense of what the organization most needs to elevate its impact and move forward through complexity.
- Relationship Builder–Listens and empathizes, engages a wide range of people. Embraces peoples’ differences and helps every individual feel special and valued.
- People Grower–Encourages leadership in others and takes risks to help others grow. Champions collaboration across the organization.
- Culture Champion–Consciously evolves the culture to help secure the future of the business. Recognizes where behaviors need to change and how to change them.
- Results Oriented–A desire to make things happen, sets stretch goals, and motivates others to achieve them. Always looking to create a better result for customers.
- Future Catalyst–Communicates a vision of the future that compels others and helps them see around corners. Embraces change, takes risks, and seeks diverse perspectives.
- Breakthrough Strategist–Sees connections others do not see. Translates this new insight into break-through strategies that open up new directions. Enrolls others in the new.
Relocation for this position is Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Asset Manager, North America Pension and 401K
Job ID: 665498
Location: CO - Broomfield
Full/Part Time: Full-Time