Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Technical Specialist I - Thermal Vacuum (665864) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Technical Specialist-I – Thermal Vacuum
The Technical Specialist-I Thermal Vacuum will support the operational needs of the Test Operations Department. This position will work in the Thermal Vacuum and Climatics Test Lab in a team-oriented atmosphere with technicians and engineers.
What you’ll do:
- Responsible for running thermal vacuum and climatic test profiles per customer requirements.
- Conduct tests; monitor, analyze, reduce, and record data. Perform mathematical calculations.
- Process hardware of a developmental, prototype, or critical nature.
- Support operational tasks: (Test procedure review, CAPEX projects, 6S projects, facility upgrades).
- Test and troubleshoot subsystems, components, instruments, and / or mechanisms for testing production products; check and modify chambers or fixtures.
- Apply computer skills to access & input data via computer interface, automated equipment or test equipment.
- Assimilate diverse data and recommend action to address unique and complex technical situations.
- Provide instruction and training on specialized procedures and techniques to other employees and may develop/ improve processes and procedures essential to work centers and specific projects.
- Make continuous improvement suggestions, participate and lead such projects.
- Coordinate and lead the work of lower level employees to assure task completion.
- Review and accurately interpret schematics, drawings, specifications, and procedures for completeness and compliance requirements.
- May provide detailed written input for design reviews, proposals, specifications, work standards, and business processes.
- Assist in the development or preparation of schematics, designs and specifications.
- Maintain electronic build records, required data logs, records, and reports in accordance with BATC policies and procedures, and government regulations.
- Support capital improvement projects with cost analysis, process documentation and program leadership / execution.
- Implement EHS processes and procedures; recognize safety hazards, including hazardous materials, and pursue corrective action when necessary.
- Demonstrate effective communication and regular interaction with management, customers, and internal / external auditors.
- Complete tasks and communicate effectively, both orally and written, within environmental test work centers.
- Deliver work with a keen attention to cost and schedule.
- Support of other Test Operations labs will be required depending on the department’s workload and staffing needs.
- Operate company owned vehicles as required.
- Maintain valid driver’s license and good motor vehicle record.
- Will be required to get company certifications to operate a fork lift, overhead crane, ESD, Fall Protection, Cleanroom, and LOTO.
- Must be willing to support a flexible second and/or third shift and weekend shift schedule to support large program test schedules when necessary
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 12 or more years of related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 10 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Working knowledge of vacuum chambers and thermal testing.
- Familiarity with thermal control systems.
- Training in SolidWorks and LabVIEW or other programming a plus.
- Good mechanical aptitude, with solid dexterity and hand/eye coordination to work with hand tools.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft office (Word, Excel) and basic knowledge of databases are needed.
- Basic Mechanical, Electrical and/or Aerospace knowledge is required.
- Must be a self-starter, ambitious, and a conscientious individual with a very high attention to detail.
- Must enjoy working in a process-controlled environment. Capable of executing to technical process specifications, procedures and standards.
- General understanding of calibrated equipment
- Vibration or EMC / EMI experience a plus.
- Able to lift 50 pounds and work with heavy equipment, tooling and fixtures.
- Work is performed in an office, clean room, laboratory, manufacturing floor or machine shop environment.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Technical Specialist I - Thermal Vacuum (665864)
Job ID: 665864
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time