Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Technical Intern - Structural Engineer (664876) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Ball Aerospace 2019 Summer Intern Program:
The Ball Aerospace Internship Program is a 10-week summer program that provides interns with practical experience working on relevant projects while working with designated mentors; access to state-of-the-art equipment; a competitive wage; relocation reimbursement; in-house training; group activities; possible future employment and the ability to participate in the Ball Aerospace Remote Sensing Team (BIRST) program to build and launch a rocket or high-altitude balloon. At the conclusion of your internship, you will be required to prepare and deliver a formal presentation of your project work to your respective department.
Technical Intern – Structural Engineer
What You’ll Do
- Work in a team environment assisting in the structural analysis and design of spacecraft, instruments, mechanisms, and/or optics.
- Communicate your analysis findings to engineers in other disciplines such as mechanical design, thermal, optics, and systems.
- Analyze stresses from launch accelerations or thermal environments, determining dynamic modes, evaluating the distortion of optics, or writing code to improve the efficiency of the structural engineering group.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need
- You must have completed your sophomore or junior year and be enrolled in a degree program for the fall of 2019. We will also accept graduating seniors enrolled in a post graduate program.
- Mechanical, Civil, or Aerospace Engineering degree field.
- Coursework in statics, dynamics, strength of materials, and linear algebra.
- Experience with at least one scientific programming language.
- Experience in finite element analysis and CAD a plus.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated interest in design and analysis through school projects and hobbies.
- Proficiency with MS Office tools.
- Work is performed in an office, clean room, or production environment.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Technical Intern - Structural Engineer (664876)
Job ID: 664876
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time