Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Staff Consultant - Optical Engineering (665504) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Staff Consultant – Optical Engineering
What you´ll do:
- Lead optical engineering activities and advise on improvement of existing products and architectures across multiple programs.
- Provide consultant level optical engineering skills and technical leadership to support mission and systems engineering of space-based Earth and Planetary remote sensing systems.
- Participate in the detailed development of optical system architectures concepts as well as detailed optical system design.
- Participate in the development of innovative optical remote sensing solutions and architectures primarily for NASA and NOAA mission opportunities, but also for DOD and Commercial markets.
- Support Advanced Program development with writing and briefing proposals, responding to RFIs, writing white papers, and participating / leading proposal reviews.
- Responsibilities also include interfacing with multiple engineering disciplines and providing company-wide systems architecture advisement.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you´ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years related experience. MS degree preferred.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proven management, technical, and leadership experience.
- Knowledge of the current state-of-the-art in remote sensing technologies.
- Proven ability to define architecture for new payloads.
- Proven track record in producibility of designs with cost, budget, and schedule constraints for self and others is essential.
- Ability to develop relationships with key science, program and engineering personnel from Government and academia.
- Proposal leadership experience. Awareness of system-level issues and their impacts on system architectures is necessary. New business development experience, including successful customer interaction.
- Knowledge of modeling tools and techniques to predict and budget optical system performance.
- Experience in instrument prototyping, laboratory development, and field campaigns.
- Experience in or ability to develop market assessments, technology roadmaps and capture plans.
- Excellent presentation and writing skills.
- Current Top Secret (TS/SCI) clearance with a current favorable single scope background investigation is desired but not required. The ability and willingness to obtain such a clearance is required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Staff Consultant - Optical Engineering (665504)
Job ID: 665504
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Part-Time