Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Spacecraft Mechanical Lead-Principal (665536) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Spacecraft Mechanical Lead – Principal
Lead the mechanical effort for new spacecraft in a classified environment from proposal phase through award, detailed design, fabrication, assembly, test, and requirement verification.
What you’ll do:
- Define, maintain, iterate, and verify the mechanical requirements that are needed to meet the system and other subsystem requirements and interfaces.
- Generate, iterate, maintain, and release the spacecraft configuration, primary/secondary structure design, and mechanism architecture that meet system and subsystem requirements.
- Work on CAD and do simple hand structural analysis calculations during proposal and program initial startup.
- Transition to leading team of 5-10 design and analysis engineers with majority of time spent leading the team and communicating with the internal and external customers.
- Transition to leading team of 5-40 design, analysis, test, and manufacturing engineering responsible for fabrication, assembly, and test with majority of time spent leading the team with the ability to lead and resolve complex technical issues as they crop up.
- Coordinate with personnel from all other spacecraft sub-systems including external interfaces such as customers, customer consultants, payload providers and launch vehicle providers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or a related technical field, is required plus 12 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current Top Secret clearance with a current favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is preferred.
- Experience in spacecraft, aerospace instrument, structure, mechanism, sensor, and/or rotating machinery design.
- Experience using CAD software.
- Demonstrated creativity in mechanical engineering design.
- Demonstrated design analysis capability.
- Demonstrated successful lead/supervisory experience of mechanical engineering design activities.
- Prior participation in written and/or oral proposal activities for NASA and DoD programs. (Minimum experience of 6 months)
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Spacecraft Mechanical Lead-Principal (665536)
Job ID: 665536
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time