Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Principal Thermal Engineer (665229) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Principal Thermal Engineer
What You’ll Do:
- Thermal design and analysis of spacecraft and/or precision aerospace electro-mechanical, and/or opto-mechanical flight hardware systems, flight cryogenic systems and/or ground support equipment including cryocoolers, cryoradiators and dewars, antenna communication systems, tactical video systems, components and/or ground support equipment from concept through detail design.
- Computation of heat transfer coefficients, temperature and heat flow calculations; steady state and transient.
- Responsible for creating effective plans, doing cost estimating, and managing efforts of the thermal design team.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering, with emphasis in Fluids and Heat Transfer, plus 12 or more years of related experience is required. Advanced degree is preferred.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current Top Secret clearance with a current favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with customer counterparts.
- Working knowledge of thermal, radiation, and convection software.
- Advance thermal math modeling using Thermal Desktop, TSS, ANSYS Mechanical, CFD, TAK2000, SINDA, and IDEAS/TMG software tools is a plus.
- Working knowledge and experience using the CAD software Solid Works.
- Experience in spacecraft and/or precision aerospace electro-mechanical, and/or opto-mechanical flight hardware systems, cryo systems, cryocoolers, cryoradiators, antenna communication systems, tactical video systems, components and/or ground support equipment thermal design.
- Demonstrated creativity in cryo-thermal engineering design and analysis.
- Knowledge of cryogenic processes and materials usage.
- Demonstrated successful lead/supervisory experience of cryo-thermal engineering activities.
- Prior participation in written and/or oral proposal activities for NASA and DoD programs.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Able to work in a fast paced, team environment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Principal Thermal Engineer (665229)
Job ID: 665229
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time