Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Principal Materials & Process Engineer (665455) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Principal Materials & Process Engineer
What you’ll do:
- Develop and implement materials and processes (M&P;) plans for spacecraft and instruments, including leading efforts to qualify new materials and processes for flight usage (aerospace, military, commercial).
- Work as a team member in the design of flight hardware and ground-support equipment, testing and selecting materials and processes to ensure program performance and structural requirements are met.
- Represent Ball Aerospace and customer organizations (e.g. project, systems engineering, mission assurance, production, integration and test, supply chain, etc.) in the implementation of M&P; program requirements.
- Review engineering drawings and provide feedback to designers on materials selection, producibility, and process specifications.
- Direct flow down program M&P; requirements to subcontractors and vendors and verify that those requirements are met.
- Conversant in specifying contamination control methods and procedures to meet program cleanliness requirements for space flight hardware.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule. May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment is required.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS or higher in Engineering or a related technical field plus 12 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Leadership experience as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) to resolve technical problems and work interdisciplinary trades.
- Hands-on experience working in a team environment with aerospace hardware in a cleanroom environment.
- Project management experience working with estimating and developing BOE for new and existing program support.
- Experience in material selection and qualification of metals, polymers, adhesives, composites, including a working knowledge of aerospace material specifications.
- Broad knowledge in process development and implementation for metal finish, bonding, coatings, plating, including a working knowledge of aerospace industry process specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate effectively, in writing and in presentations to various audiences.
- Familiarity with NASA, military or industry specifications, especially materials test (e.g. ASTM) procedures.
- Experience with developing a process, for example, corrosion prevention, paints, coatings, adhesives, or lubrication.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Principal Materials & Process Engineer (665455)
Job ID: 665455
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time