Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Principal Engineer-Electro-Optical Payload Systems (665142) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Principal Engineer – Electro-Optical Payload Systems
This engineering position is for an experienced systems engineer who is creative and responsible for leading the development of airborne and/or space borne payload systems
What You’ll Do:
- Support programs from new business to delivery including proposal support, concept development with trades, payload system design, payload integration and test, and post-delivery technical support.
- Perform systems engineering tasks throughout the program or Research and Development (R&D;) project lifecycle.
- Understand and lead the decomposition and allocation of electro-optical payload requirements to lower level specifications. Refine requirements as necessary.
- Lead and develop margin management philosophy throughout the program lifecycle.
- Lead and perform the synthesis of payload system performance for compliance and verification of requirements.
- Lead and perform analyses for the development of error trees and Technical Performance Measures (TPMs).
- Mange system interfaces and lead the development of payload Interface Control Documents (ICDs).
- Lead, with the coordination of AI&T; engineers, the test configurations, verification approaches, and analysis plans necessary for payload verification.
- Lead the development, test and evaluation of hardware, software, support equipment and systems as required.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management, and/or customers.
- Support program gates such as the Preliminary Design Review (PDR), Critical Design Review (CDR), Functional Configuration Audit (FCA) and payload sell-off.
- Support and/or lead payload technical proposal development including estimates of systems team labor and schedule
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Advanced computer application skills, such as Matlab, C, C++, IDL, STK, DOORS, and other analytical tools is a strong plus.
- Experience executing space based electro-optical systems from concept development and program kick- off through post-delivery support.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills—ability to coordinate activities of a diverse team, predict and meet schedules, resolve disconnects.
- Excellent communication skills are essential, including the ability to understand the customer’s needs and provide clear communication of proposed solutions to both Ball management and the customer.
- Current Top Secret security clearance is desired.
- Working knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM) - CAM experience preferred
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Principal Engineer-Electro-Optical Payload Systems (665142)
Job ID: 665142
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time