Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Principal Engineer-Concept of Operations (CONOPS) Thread Lead (665027) - Security clearance required in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Principal Engineer* –*CONOPS Thread Lead **
This leadership position is for an experienced system engineer who can lead a team to establish the CONOPS for missions. Responsible for detailing the purpose and characteristics of the system from an operational viewpoint and provide insight on the ultimate functionality of the capability. Takes ownership of the TCPED (Tasking, Collection, Processing, Exploitation, and Dissemination) by coordinating each step in the process to ensure users receive data that was intended to be collected.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop Space System Mission CONOPS
- Generate use cases - understand the end users’ needs; Support generation of operation analysis models to test interfaces
- Develops Day in The Life (DITL) scenarios and Design Reference Missions (DRMs) to support tasking and planning models and capability assessments.
- Develops and implements a lifecycle management plan
- Define program integration into multi-customer enterprise architecture
- Conduct mission analysis and assessments
- Create mission configurations and establish an end-to-end communications strategy
- Creates decision trees to establish operational courses of action (COAs)
- Conduct trade studies, functional flow analysis, and timeline analysis
- Define the system capacity
- Coordinates design functionality with user products
- Integrates secondary payloads into the mainline mission TCPED
- Participate in requirement flow down to ensure the design will support end-use intentions. Validate and discover implicit requirements through operational analysis.
- Develop Verification and Validation plans for operational requirement sets
- Develop Mission Concept Baseline
- Use Model Based System Engineering tools, disciplines and approaches.
- Interface with and support the program’s chief system engineer.
- Own the effort and requirement set from program onset to delivery.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 12 or more years related experience in either payload systems, spacecraft systems, or mission operations.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current Top Secret clearance required.
- Demonstrated Experience with National Space systems and Mission Analysis experience
- Proficiency in use of design and analysis tools such as STK, FreeFlyer, or MATLAB
- Strategic thinker capable of creating system architectures
- Ability to work across multiple integrated product teams, coordinating design efforts, identifying operational design gaps, and develop cross-cutting solutions
- Demonstrated ability to write effective and verifiable requirements – detailed oriented.
- A strong technical foundation – people who learn and grow.
- Effective in small team work environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- A desire to learn – our culture fosters intellectual curiosity in a highly collaborative environment.
- Customer Relationships: Extensive knowledge of missions and customers across core technologies areas. Knowledge/experience working with critical customer base, established relationships with key personnel within customer community.
- Superb presentation skills with experience to senior decision making and technical audiences.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Principal Engineer-Concept of Operations (CONOPS) Thread Lead (665027) - Security clearance required
Job ID: 665027
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time