Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Principal Electrical Engineer-Spacecraft Command & Data Handling Responsible Engineer (666071) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Principal Electrical Engineer - Spacecraft Command & Data Handling Responsible Engineer
This position is for an experienced electrical engineer who can manage procurement of Command & Data Handling (CDH) subsystem components. The work involves architecture and requirements development, subcontract management, and technical oversight of subcontractors. Strong electrical engineering and technical writing skills are required.
What You’ll Do:
- CDH Responsible Engineer - This position is 70% technical and 30% management.
- Work with program CDH teams to define CDH architecture and interfaces.
- Support program CDH teams in implementation and verification of CDH components.
- Oversee the technical execution of CDH component suppliers across multiple programs. Responsibilities include:
- Requirements definition
- Review and approval of supplier schematics, drawings, analyses, and engineering reports
- Oversee development, manufacturing, and test activities
- Support troubleshooting and root cause/corrective action investigations.
- Change management
- Serve as the technical interface between component suppliers and programs. Responsibilities include:
- Track and coordinate delivery and review of subcontract data deliverables
- Present technical briefs and project status to peers, program management, and customers
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with suppliers, program management, and Ball strategic support units.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current Top Secret/SCI security clearance desired but not required
- Minimum of 6 years of direct experience in electronics or component design or test, preferably in avionics.
- A solid understanding of requirements definition, decomposition, and flowdown; architectural trade studies; architecture and interface definition; analyses and verification.
- Proven expertise in subcontract management.
- Extensive experience with defining, developing, and testing spaceflight electronics.
- Circuit analysis skills.
- Familiarity with VHDL and FPGA development and testing tools.
- Intellectual curiosity combined with a strong desire to learn.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Capable of working in a large, multidisciplinary team with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Principal Electrical Engineer-Spacecraft Command & Data Handling Responsible Engineer (666071)
Job ID: 666071
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time