Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace OLI2 Instrument Engineer II (665459) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Instrument Systems Engineer II
Enable the advancement of knowledge in earth and planetary science, astrophysics, and national security by supporting the OLI-2 Instrument team.
What you’ll do:
- Support the commanding of the OLI-2 instrument at the Spacecraft vendor facility, launch site, and GSFC Operations Center. Also, monitor the health of the instrument at these same facilities.
- Support launch operations, on-orbit operations, on-orbit anomaly resolution.
- Support integration and test activities at the Spacecraft vendor facility and launch site.
- This position will require travel to the spacecraft provider’s site to ready the Space Vehicle (our instrument) and provide support (shift work as required) in the following phases: initial integration, system test, launch and commissioning.
- Contribute to multi-disciplinary teams in testing of instrument and observatory system performance and operation.
- Track and manage project changes to facilitate scope control, process improvement, document traceability, and quality assurance.
- Understand and support system operations and instrument performance.
- Deliver presentations to internal/external customers in both informal and formal settings. Establish and nurture effective working relationships within your department, business unit, and company to grow your efficacy as an engineer.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Familiarity and experience in space instrumentation and payload engineering, including, but not limited to: imaging, data acquisition and analysis, systems engineering, integration and test.
- Familiarity with data analysis software (preferably MatLab), data analysis processes, and statistical processes
- Familiarity with flight operations desired.
- Self-starter attitude and drive to reach beyond typical job responsibilities and deliver results.
- Big picture mentality and ability to help others maintain a strong technical vision of the end product.
- A strong technical foundation – people who learn and grow
- Good communication skills, including the ability to understand the customer’s needs and clearly describe proposed solutions.
- Good writing and presentation skills with experience communicating to senior decision-makers and technical audiences.
- A desire to learn - our culture fosters intellectual curiosity in a highly collaborative environment
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: OLI2 Instrument Engineer II (665459)
Job ID: 665459
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time