Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Director-Space Sciences (665095) in Arlington, Virginia
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Director, Space Sciences
We are currently recruiting for a Director, Space Sciences for Ball Aerospace’s Strategic Operations (StratOps) organization located in the Washington, D.C. area. The Director, Space Sciences will be responsible for advancing and advocating for Ball Aerospace’s civil space programs and pursuits with the following Washington, D.C.-based stakeholders: NASA, OMB, OSTP, and the broader space sciences community.
This position reports to the VP/GM, Strategic Operations. The reporting location for the position is in Ball’s Arlington, VA office.
Ball Aerospace’s StratOps works collaboratively across Ball Aerospace and our stakeholder community to increase our profile in the market. The StratOps organization consists of Washington DC operations, Marketing & Communications, and Strategic Development. The purpose of StratOps is to strategically position the company within our markets, work with customers and competition to influence and drive the growth of the company, and facilitate collaboration across the company.
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely and work as an integrated team member with StratOps counterparts, civil space business unit, program managers, and business development teams to grow the company’s business in the space sciences;
- Represent Ball Aerospace in Washington, D.C. for business development in astrophysics, planetary science, and heliophysics with focus on NASA and other stakeholders as appropriate;
- Coordinate strategies, messaging, and activities for the space sciences portfolio within StratOps and the civil space business unit team, consistent with company and business goals;
- Work and communicate with customers and stakeholders on behalf of current astrophysics, planetary science, and heliophysics programs;
- Identify new business opportunities, assess policy issues, and track budget processes impacting the space sciences portfolio;
- Influence and shape future space sciences opportunities;
- Participate in development and execution of business strategies related to the civil space business unit;
- Develop broad relationships with customers and stakeholders in Washington, D.C., and develop contact plans for civil space leadership;
- Demonstrate thought leadership in the community, including engaging in industry association activities and participating in events of interest to Ball Aerospace.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in astrophysics, planetary science, or a related field, plus 15 or more years of related experience is required. PhD strongly preferred.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Self-starting, lean-forward attitude with a bias to action and a high standard of ethics;
- Demonstrated excellent leadership and interpersonal skills in relevant business environments with collaboration skills;
- Willing and able to work in a dynamic environment and possess an innovative spirit;
- Effective in working with people at all levels of an organization and willing to contribute wherever needed, providing leadership to operational activities as well as senior executives;
- Diplomacy, influencing, communication and team skills;
- Understanding of the NASA Science Mission Directorate and its programs including but not limited to technology development programs and Announcements of Opportunity;
- Understanding of the ecosystem of space sciences stakeholders in Washington, D.C., the relevant science communities, and the relevant budget processes;
- Knowledge of the Decadal Survey process and excellent understanding of the contents of the current astrophysics, planetary science, and heliophysics decadal surveys;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to translate technical information to a range of audiences;
- Understanding of the business development and proposal processes is a plus;
- Collaborative and inclusive style and ability to work with diverse colleagues and those working in other geographical areas. Well-honed interpersonal skills are a must.
*Working Conditions: *
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Director-Space Sciences (665095)
Job ID: 665095
Location: VA - Arlington
Full/Part Time: Full-Time