Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Laser Technician (663600) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Ball Aerospace's Albuquerque office, located near Kirtland Air Force Base NM, is a key provider of technical services to the Air Force Research Laboratory Directed Energy and Space Vehicles directorates. Our multi-discipline staff provides a broad range of scientific and engineering services, including laboratory and field experiments, technology assessments, modeling & simulation, and analyses. We are seeking additional qualified researchers and engineers to join our science and technology oriented organization.
Senior Laser Technician
What You’ll Do
- Lead efforts to support development and use of lasers and laser related hardware to meet stringent customer requirements.
- Perform a variety of complex functions of a specialized nature requiring advanced knowledge of engineering, science, or other technical applications.
- Duties are typically more responsibility oriented (versus daily task oriented), performed with little to no oversight or prioritization by a higher authority, sophisticated and unique in nature, and vary greatly in breadth and depth of content during day-to-day operations.
- Provide technical expertise towards the development, implementation, and demonstration of novel high energy solid state pulsed or CW laser systems for research applications.
- Apply extensive knowledge and technical expertise to state of the art laser technologies in both room and cryogenic temperature environments.
- Routinely work in a research, development, test, & Engineering (RDT&E;) laboratory environment with lasers, laser components, amplifiers, instrumentation, diagnostics, and optical components to evaluate laser performance.
- Collaborate with members of small teams to develop and/or demonstrate laser concepts and laser performance characterization experiments.
- Safely implement and operate high energy lasers in laboratory or field test environments.
- Align and integrate complex high energy lasers and high energy laser systems.
- Operate and maintain laser diagnostic hardware.
- Conduct peer-reviewed analyses of data.
- Provide written documentation on findings as required by the projects assigned.
- Follow EHS (environmental health and safety) processes and procedures; recognize safety hazards, including hazardous materials, and pursue corrective action when necessary.
- Effective communications and regular interaction with colleagues and supervisors.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU, and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 10 years or more related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 8 years or more related experience
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Must be an experienced professional with a proven track record in a laser design, development, and performance characterization environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently as both an individual and in a team environment.
- Self-starter with a demonstrated history of following through.
- Must have strong documentation skills, organization skills, and the ability to interact with team members cross-functionally.
- Able to effectively communicate in verbal and written communication skills.
- Work is performed in an office, clean room, laboratory, manufacturing floor or machine shop environment.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Senior Laser Technician (663600)
Job ID: 663600
Location: NM - Albuquerque
Full/Part Time: Full-Time