Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Research & Development Mechanical Engineer Associate (665014)-Security clearance required in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Ball Aerospace's Albuquerque office, located near Kirtland Air Force Base NM, is a key provider of technical services to the Air Force Research Laboratory Directed Energy and Space Vehicles directorates. Our multi-discipline staff provides a broad range of scientific and engineering services, including laboratory and field experiments, technology assessments, modeling & simulation, and analyses. We are seeking additional qualified researchers and engineers to join our science and technology oriented organization.
Research & Development Mechanical Engineer Associate
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp. is recruiting for an emerging professional to contribute to our growing science and technology-based organization in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Our scientists, engineers and analysts have been leading the development of new technology associated with high energy lasers for over twenty-five years. We seek an entry-level engineer to contribute to our research development and demonstrations. The successful candidate will contribute to a team of researchers developing new laser technology components and their associated optical, thermal and power systems.
What You'll Do
- Perform mechanical engineering related activities associated with lasers, electro-optical, and/or opto-mechanical hardware systems, flight hardware, associated power, thermal and electronics components and/or field test hardware using 3D CAD and other standard industry tools under the guidance and supervision of more senior engineers.
- Maintain documentation of requirements, interface control documents/drawings, and other system integration products for integration of components into subsystems and systems.
- Identify and specify off-the-shelf and custom parts, obtain quotes, write purchase requisitions to meet assigned mechanical design projects.
- Establish good working relationships with suppliers and Ball supply chain management staff.
- Assist with the coordination and tracking of hardware build projects.
- Collaborate with other multi-disciplinary electrical, software, thermal, optical, mechanical and other subsystem teams to ensure they meet overall integration and performance requirements.
- Coordinate and collaborate with scientific research staff to reduce design risks, optimize design features, or verify critical design aspects.
- Prepare inputs for technical briefings for informal internal design reviews and formal external design reviews (e.g., PDRs and CDRs). May participate in presentations.
- May communicate with customers directly with regard to assigned areas of project responsibility.
- Follow Department of Defense procedures for the proper usage and safeguarding of classified information.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Active DoD Secret clearance is required.
- Demonstrated experience in relevant mechanical design projects preferred.
- Good organizational and coordination skills.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Research & Development Mechanical Engineer Associate (665014)-Security clearance required
Job ID: 665014
Location: NM - Albuquerque
Full/Part Time: Full-Time