Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Research and Development Optical Scientist (665478) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Ball Aerospace's Albuquerque office, located near Kirtland Air Force Base NM, is a key provider of technical services to the Air Force Research Laboratory Directed Energy and Space Vehicles directorates. Our multi-discipline staff provides a broad range of scientific and engineering services, including laboratory and field experiments, technology assessments, modeling & simulation, and analyses. We are seeking additional qualified researchers and engineers to join our science and technology oriented organization.
Research and Development Optical Scientist-II
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp. is recruiting for an established professional to contribute to our growing science and technology-based organization in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Our scientists, engineers and analysts have been conducting analytical and experimental research services for over twenty-five years in support of US Government agencies. We seek an established research & development professional to contribute to our on-going research investigations associated with high-powered laser technology. The successful candidate will participate as strong individual technical contributor or a team lead on technology development or experimental projects; collaborate with computational scientists or analysts; develop and implement technical solutions; and support general business development efforts.
What you'll do:
- Develop and direct robust technical and programmatic solutions to solve technically difficult research problems in laser engineering and laser material interactions.
- Contribute significantly to assigned research projects.
- Develop and present detailed test or development plans to meet identified goals and objectives.
- Provide detailed explanation and proper interpretation of research results through technically accurate briefings and reports to stakeholders, peer groups and decision makers.
- Meet with internal and external customers and project collaborators to obtain feedback; discuss goals, schedules, budgets and other critical information necessary to formulate or adjust technical solutions for new or on-going projects.
- Interact with multi-disciplinary teams composed of engineers, modelers, experimentalists, technicians, and other project participants to meet project goals and lead as necessary.
- Design and develop specialized instruments for performing complex measurements.
- Design and develop customized hardware for development and demonstration of new technology.
- Develop and implement data reduction and analysis plans to translate data into relevant information. May participate in software development activities.
- Support proposal preparation and other business development opportunities as needed.
- Develop new capabilities that enhance department offerings to current and potential customers.
- Conduct literature searches to identify relevant information pertaining to topic under study.
- Promote development of strong teams by participation in key aspects of the project and mentoring more junior team members. When delegating, establish clear expectations by providing well-defined tasks with clear entrance/exit criteria, due dates and associated budgets.
- Work without appreciable direction toward project goals and objectives. Assignments may be self-initiated.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, lead presentation of research findings and group discussions.
- Follow Department of Defense procedures for the proper usage and safeguarding of classified information.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you'll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience with laser technology is preferred.
- MS or PhD degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated examples of publishing research and development results.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense Top Secret security clearance.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful candidate will have completed a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. *U.S. Citizenship is Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Research and Development Optical Scientist (665478)
Job ID: 665478
Location: NM - Albuquerque
Full/Part Time: Full-Time