Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Laser Researcher Senior (663528) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Ball Aerospace's Albuquerque office, located near Kirtland Air Force Base NM, is a key provider of quick response technology assessments to the Office of the Secretary of Defense, US Air Force, and the Air Force Research Laboratory Space Vehicles directorate. Our multi-discipline staff provides a broad range of engineering and technical services, including technology demonstrations and assessments, laboratory and field experiments, and integrated research and analyses. We are seeking additional qualified engineers and analysts to join our technology assessment oriented organization.
Laser Researcher Senior
Ball Aerospace is currently recruiting for an established laser engineer/scientist with laboratory experience in designing and developing laser hardware to join our science and technology research organization in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The successful candidate will collaborate with managers, engineers, scientists, experimentalists, and other project participants to develop and demonstrate advanced laser technology. Typical systems will be state-of-the-art prototypes for demonstrating new capability, technology, or maturity. Emphasis of this position is on advancing the state-of-the-art of laser technology for US Government applications.
What you'll do:
- Regularly conceive, develop and implement ingenious and creative solutions to advance the state-of-art of laser technology using scientific and engineering principles, practices and techniques. Laser systems of interest are typically high-energy solid-state pulsed or continuous wave lasers.
- Contribute significantly to new knowledge and concepts associated with laser technology.
- Apply a wide range of scientific principles and theories to form technical solutions to complex problems associated with laser technology development.
- Conduct research and analysis to support proposed solutions. Interface with computational scientists or other project personnel to obtain additional supporting information.
- Allocate subsystem performance budgets and requirements based on overall system performance requirements and provide corresponding flow-down for collaborative research engineering and development.
- Frequently lead and oversee more-junior laser engineers and laboratory staff by providing work assignments, checking their work for adequacy, and providing feedback as necessary.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other project participants including scientists, modelers, and engineers to facilitate the sharing of information to support overall research endeavors.
- Collaborate with other project participants to support risk-reduction analysis, demonstrations or experiments.
- Prepare and present re-occurring and major presentations to internal and external customers including status presentation, design trade studies, preliminary design reviews and system design reviews.
- Develop strong professional relationships with range of project participants and contribute to positive and productive work environment.
- Provide excellent oral and written communications to facilitate project progress.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you'll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience. MS or PhD is preferred.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience performing systems engineering associated with laser technology is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Top Secret security clearance.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Laser Researcher Senior (663528)
Job ID: 663528
Location: NM - Albuquerque
Full/Part Time: Full-Time