Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Laser Engineer I – Temporary Part-Time (663547) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Ball Aerospace's Albuquerque office, located near Kirtland Air Force Base NM, is a key provider of quick response technology assessments to the Office of the Secretary of Defense, US Air Force, and the Air Force Research Laboratory Space Vehicles directorate. Our multi-discipline staff provides a broad range of engineering and technical services, including technology demonstrations and assessments, laboratory and field experiments, and integrated research and analyses. We are seeking additional qualified engineers and analysts to join our technology assessment oriented organization.
Laser Engineer I – Temporary Part-Time
What you’ll do:
- Research design and development of high-energy solid-state laser systems
- Conduct laser design trade studies using existing laser design codes under the direction of senior staff
- Participate in technical discussions with the group on a regular basis.
- Apply a wide range of technical principles, theories and concepts from disciplines associated with thermal, laser and optical sciences.
- Interface with laser modeling and laser hardware build team on a regular basis
- Participate in small teams of co-workers and technicians over the life of a project to determine and develop creative approaches or solutions to problems.
- Follow established facility, safety and security procedures.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering, Physical Science or a related technical field is required plus 2 or more years related experience. MS degree is preferred.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Ability to get a DoD Top Secret clearance.
- Intermediate knowledge of laser physics and optical sciences.
- Intermediate capability with optical design codes.
- Demonstrated experience working in a research and development setting in the physical sciences and/or engineering.
- Experience in the design and development of laser hardware.
- Strong mathematical and physical science education, excellent organization skills, strong attention to detail, and excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to interface with a multi-disciplinary modeling and hardware development team.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Laser Engineer I – Temporary Part-Time (663547)
Job ID: 663547
Location: NM - Albuquerque
Full/Part Time: Part-Time